“Dan Benson is a proven leader who works with, and for, everyone.”
—Doug Palmer, Former Mayor of Trenton (1990-2010)
I am a proud fifth generation Hamiltonian, raising my son, Nicholas, with my wife, Dr. Hande Benson. I grew up in the Broad Street Park neighborhood of Hamilton, near the border of Trenton. I graduated from Hamilton High School West, went on to earn my degree from Georgetown University in physics and government, and later completed a Master's of Public Policy at the Bloustein School at Rutgers University. Public policy and public service have been, and always will be, a passion for me.
For the last 20+ years, I have spent my professional career working in both the public and private sectors, focusing on energy and telecommunications policy. In addition to my work as a member of the NJ General Assembly, I have worked for many years at my current employer, Ericsson (formerly BellCore), as a contractor helping clients stay informed of new federal regulations.
In 2001, I was first elected to Hamilton Township Council at the age of 25, where I served two years as Council President. In 2008, I was elected to the Mercer County Board of Commissioners (previously known as the Freeholder Board) through a contested convention. Upon Linda Greenstein’s election to the Senate, I won another contested convention to become a State Assemblyman for the 14th District.
In my nearly 12 years in the NJ Legislature, I chaired the Law & Public Safety Committee and currently chair the Transportation Committee. I have been a prime sponsor on nearly 400 bills signed into law and introduced 88 bills as a first-prime sponsor that became law. These include laws to expand pediatric provider availability, cap prescription costs, and put opioid overdose antidotes in the hands of first responders across New Jersey. I’m proud to have sponsored legislation protecting worker rights, fighting against the stigma of mental illness, building restorative justice practices in our school system, and combating climate change by encouraging the use of electric vehicles through access to more charging stations and tax credits.
As a member of the powerful Assembly Budget Committee, I have seen the incredible resources the state has made available to municipalities and counties. Mercer County should be taking advantage of these resources and opportunities. We can do more to have a healthier county through community health, a more equitable county through economic development centered on our capital region, and a more accessible county through transportation programs that allow residents regardless of age, disability, geographic location, or income to get to where they need to go. Together we can build a Mercer County that works for everyone!
Elected and Party Leadership Experience
- Member, NJ General Assembly (2011–Present); Deputy Conference Leader (2022–Present)
- Member, Mercer County Board of Chosen Freeholders (2008–2011)
- Member, Hamilton Township Council (2002–2005); President (2002–2003)
- Former Hamilton Democratic Municipal Committee Chair (2004–2007)
- Former Hamilton Democratic Club President (1999–2002)
- Founder/Former President, Mercer County Young Democrats (1997–1999)
Educational and Professional Experience
- Master’s in Public Policy in Science and Technology Policy, Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, Rutgers University (1999)
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Government, Georgetown University (1997)
- Regulatory Consultant in Energy and Telecommunications Policy (2008–Present)
- Government Affairs Manager, New Jersey Utilities Association (2007–2008)
- Research Project Manager, Center for Energy, Economic, and Environmental Policy, Rutgers University (2003–2006)
- Senior Project Manager, Telcordia Technologies, formerly BellCore (1998–2003)
Community Activities and Honors
- Treasurer, Henry J. Austin Health Center
- Member and Former President, Kiwanis Club of Hamilton Township
- Community Advisor, Hamilton Key Clubs
- Former Member, Mercer County Board of Catholic Charities
- Former Vice President, Friends of the Hamilton Township Library
- Former Member, Hamilton Library Board of Trustees
- Member, Hamilton Elks Lodge #2262
- Member, Ancient Order of Hibernians Div. #1